四川大学
助教

课程特色

视频(31)
作业(17)
考试(2)

Unit Eight Intonation

By 王雪纯 老师 2023-05-13 989次浏览

1. What are the most commonly used nuclear tones in English? Can you name some of the utterance meanings of these nuclear tones?

2. What are the three sub-systems of English intonation? What roles do they play in communication?

3. Roger Kingdon once said: “Intonation is the soul of language”. Do you agree? Please use one example to illustrate your point.

110 回复

• 王毅2班50037 2023-05-13
    1. The most commonly used nuclear tones in English include the following:
    • Falling tone (F): This tone starts at a higher pitch and falls to a lower pitch. It often indicates a statement or a completed thought. For example, in the sentence "I went to the store," the nuclear tone on "store" would typically be falling.

• Rising tone (R): This tone starts at a lower pitch and rises to a higher pitch. It is often used for yes/no questions or to indicate uncertainty or incompleteness. For example, in the question "Did you go to the store?", the nuclear tone on "store" would typically be rising.

• Fall-rise tone (FR): This tone starts at a higher pitch, falls, and then rises again. It can convey different meanings depending on the context. It is often used for statements with emotional or contrastive emphasis. For example, in the sentence "I told you I don't want to go," the nuclear tone on "go" might be fall-rise to convey emphasis or a contrastive meaning.

The utterance meanings of these nuclear tones can vary depending on the specific context, linguistic elements, and speaker's intention.

1. The three sub-systems of English intonation are:
    • Pitch contour: It refers to the pattern of pitch movements within an utterance, including the rise, fall, or combination of rise and fall. Pitch contour helps convey information about the speaker's attitude, emphasis, sentence type (declarative, interrogative), and other aspects of meaning.

• Tonal movement: It refers to the overall direction and pattern of pitch changes across a sequence of words or phrases. It helps to convey the melodic flow and rhythm of speech and assists in grouping words together.

• Tonal placement: It refers to the location of prominent or stressed syllables within an utterance. Tonal placement helps distinguish between important and less important information, convey emphasis or contrast, and aid in the organization of information in speech.

These three sub-systems of intonation work together to shape the melodic and rhythmic aspects of English speech, conveying information beyond the literal meanings of words.

1. Intonation plays a crucial role in communication, as it adds layers of meaning, emotion, and emphasis to spoken language. I agree with the statement that "intonation is the soul of language." It helps convey nuances, attitudes, intentions, and pragmatics that go beyond the literal words. For example, consider the sentence "I didn't say you were wrong." By varying the intonation, the speaker can convey different meanings:
    • Falling intonation on "wrong" suggests that the speaker is denying the accusation and emphasizing that the person was not wrong.
    • Rising intonation on "wrong" suggests that the speaker is clarifying or seeking confirmation, indicating that the person might have been wrong, but the speaker did not explicitly state it.

In this example, the choice of intonation significantly affects the speaker's intended meaning and how the listener interprets the message. It demonstrates how intonation plays a vital role in shaping the soul of language by conveying nuanced information and influencing communication dynamics.

回复
  • 曾娅莉1班00100 2023-05-15

The most commonly used nuclear tones in English include the following:

Falling tone (F): This tone starts at a higher pitch and falls to a lower pitch. It often indicates a statement or a completed thought. For example, in the sentence "I went to the store," the nuclear tone on "store" would typically be falling.

Rising tone (R): This tone starts at a lower pitch and rises to a higher pitch. It is often used for yes/no questions or to indicate uncertainty or incompleteness. For example, in the question "Did you go to the store?", the nuclear tone on "store" would typically be rising.

Fall-rise tone (FR): This tone starts at a higher pitch, falls, and then rises again. It can convey different meanings depending on the context. It is often used for statements with emotional or contrastive emphasis. For example, in the sentence "I told you I don't want to go," the nuclear tone on "go" might be fall-rise to convey emphasis or a contrastive meaning.

The utterance meanings of these nuclear tones can vary depending on the specific context, linguistic elements, and speaker's intention.

The three sub-systems of English intonation are:

Pitch contour: It refers to the pattern of pitch movements within an utterance, including the rise, fall, or combination of rise and fall. Pitch contour helps convey information about the speaker's attitude, emphasis, sentence type (declarative, interrogative), and other aspects of meaning.

Tonal movement: It refers to the overall direction and pattern of pitch changes across a sequence of words or phrases. It helps to convey the melodic flow and rhythm of speech and assists in grouping words together.

Tonal placement: It refers to the location of prominent or stressed syllables within an utterance. Tonal placement helps distinguish between important and less important information, convey emphasis or contrast, and aid in the organization of information in speech.

These three sub-systems of intonation work together to shape the melodic and rhythmic aspects of English speech, conveying information beyond the literal meanings of words.

Intonation plays a crucial role in communication, as it adds layers of meaning, emotion, and emphasis to spoken language. I agree with the statement that "intonation is the soul of language." It helps convey nuances, attitudes, intentions, and pragmatics that go beyond the literal words. For example, consider the sentence "I didn't say you were wrong." By varying the intonation, the speaker can convey different meanings:

Falling intonation on "wrong" suggests that the speaker is denying the accusation and emphasizing that the person was not wrong.

Rising intonation on "wrong" suggests that the speaker is clarifying or seeking confirmation, indicating that the person might have been wrong, but the speaker did not explicitly state it.

In this example, the choice of intonation significantly affects the speaker's intended meaning and how the listener interprets the message. It demonstrates how intonation plays a vital role in shaping the soul of language by conveying nuanced information and influencing communication dynamics.

回复
  • 李文豪2班50036 2023-05-15
    • Falling tone (F): This tone starts at a higher pitch and falls to a lower pitch. It often indicates a statement or a completed thought. For example, in the sentence "I went to the store," the nuclear tone on "store" would typically be falling.

• Rising tone (R): This tone starts at a lower pitch and rises to a higher pitch. It is often used for yes/no questions or to indicate uncertainty or incompleteness. For example, in the question "Did you go to the store?", the nuclear tone on "store" would typically be rising.

• Fall-rise tone (FR): This tone starts at a higher pitch, falls, and then rises again. It can convey different meanings depending on the context. It is often used for statements with emotional or contrastive emphasis. For example, in the sentence "I told you I don't want to go," the nuclear tone on "go" might be fall-rise to convey emphasis or a contrastive meaning.

回复
  • 任珂瑶5班 2023-05-16
    1. The most commonly used nuclear tones in English include:

Falling tone (F): This tone starts at a higher pitch and falls to a lower pitch. It often indicates a statement or a completed thought. For example, in the sentence "I went to the store," the nuclear tone on "store" would typically be falling.

Rising tone (R): This tone starts at a lower pitch and rises to a higher pitch. It is often used for yes/no questions or to indicate uncertainty or incompleteness. For example, in the question "Did you go to the store?", the nuclear tone on "store" would typically be rising.

Fall-rise tone (FR): This tone starts at a higher pitch, falls, and then rises again. It can convey different meanings depending on the context. It is often used for statements with emotional or contrastive emphasis. For example, in the sentence "I told you I don't want to go," the nuclear tone on "go" might be fall-rise to convey emphasis or a contrastive meaning.

2. The utterance meanings of these nuclear tones can vary depending on the specific context, linguistic elements, and speaker's intention.

Pitch contour: It refers to the pattern of pitch movements within an utterance, including the rise, fall, or combination of rise and fall. Pitch contour helps convey information about the speaker's attitude, emphasis, sentence type (declarative, interrogative), and other aspects of meaning.

Tonal movement: It refers to the overall direction and pattern of pitch changes across a sequence of words or phrases. It helps to convey the melodic flow and rhythm of speech and assists in grouping words together.

Tonal placement: It refers to the location of prominent or stressed syllables within an utterance. Tonal placement helps distinguish between important and less important information, convey emphasis or contrast, and aid in the organization of information in speech.

I agree with the statement that "intonation is the soul of language." It helps convey nuances, attitudes, intentions, and pragmatics that go beyond the literal words. For example, consider the sentence "I didn't say you were       wrong." By varying the intonation, the speaker can convey different meanings:

Falling intonation on "wrong" suggests that the speaker is denying the accusation and emphasizing that the person was not wrong.

Rising intonation on "wrong" suggests that the speaker is clarifying or seeking confirmation, indicating that the person might have been wrong, but the speaker did not explicitly state it.

回复
  • 张蓝溪5班50085 2023-05-17

I agree that "Intonation is the soul of language." The reason is that different intonation can show the speaker's totally different atitudes. For example, when one asks: "Do you know Mrs. Zhang?" If you anwser "Yes"  in rising tone, it shows that you are not sure whether you know this person. On the contrary, if you use falling tone, it  shows you know this person exactly. Therefore, I think it's a good idea to explain why is intonation the soul of language.

回复
  • 甘彩云1班50101 2023-05-17

回复
  • 段小露22级6班 2023-05-19

回复
  • 黄焱5班50073 2023-05-19

The most commonly used nuclear tones in English include:

I agree with the statement that "intonation is the soul of language." Because it helps convey nuances, attitudes, intentions, and pragmatics that go beyond the literal words.

For example, consider the sentence "I didn't say you were wrong." By varying the intonation, the speaker can convey different meanings:

Falling intonation on "wrong" suggests that the speaker is denying the accusation and emphasizing that the person was not wrong. Rising intonation on "wrong" suggests that the speaker is clarifying or seeking confirmation, indicating that the person might have been wrong, but the speaker did not explicitly state it.

回复
  • 卫培馨6班50110 2023-05-20
    1. The most commonly used nuclear tones in English include falling, rising and fall-rise. 

The falling tone carries the meaning of finality, contradiction definiteness, etc.

The rising tone carries the meaning of incompletenessuncertainty perfunctoriness, etc

The fall-rise carries the meaning of partial agreementincompletenessreservation, etc.

回复
  • 卫培馨6班50110 2023-05-20

2.English intonation includes tonality, nonicity and tone. Tonality is the division of continuous speech into tone units. It can help to organize information, emphasis information and indicate syntactic structure. Tonicity is the placement of the tonic syllable. It plays a major role in emphasising information. Tone is the choice of melody, including falling, rising and fall-rise tone. It indicates the speaker's attitutes, emotion, etc.

回复
  • 董逸然 2023-05-20

回复
  • 董逸然 2023-05-20

回复
  • 董逸然 2023-05-20

Intonation plays a crucial role in communication, as it adds layers of meaning, emotion, and emphasis to spoken language. I agree with the statement that "intonation is the soul of language." It helps convey nuances, attitudes, intentions, and pragmatics that go beyond the literal words. For example, consider the sentence "I didn't say you were wrong." By varying the intonation, the speaker can convey different meanings:

回复
  • 杨艺1班50004 2023-05-21

回复
  • 余潇5班50087 2023-05-21

Q1: 1. Falling Intonation: This is a common intonation pattern where the pitch starts high and falls towards the end of the utterance. It is often used for declarative statements and indicates completion or finality. For example:
       - "I went to the store."
       - "She is a talented singer."

2. Rising Intonation: This intonation pattern starts with a lower pitch and rises towards the end of the utterance. It is typically used in yes-no questions and indicates that the speaker is seeking confirmation or seeking information. For example:
       - "Did you see that movie?"
       - "Are you coming with us?"

3. Rising-Falling Intonation (also known as "Yes-No" or "Question-Statement" intonation): This intonation pattern begins with a rise and then falls towards the end. It is often used in alternative questions, where the speaker is offering choices or seeking confirmation. For example:
       - "Do you want tea or coffee?"
       - "Are you going by car or by bus?"

回复
  • 余潇5班50087 2023-05-21

Q2:The three sub-systems of English intonation are pitch, stress, and rhythm. 

1. Pitch: Pitch refers to the highness or lowness of a person's voice. It involves variations in the fundamental frequency of speech. Pitch patterns, also known as intonation patterns, can convey different meanings and attitudes. 

2. Stress: Stress refers to the emphasis placed on certain syllables or words within a sentence. By applying stress to particular words, we can highlight important information or convey specific meanings. Changing the placement of stress can alter the meaning of a sentence. 

3. Rhythm: Rhythm refers to the pattern and timing of stressed and unstressed syllables in speech. It involves the alternation between stressed and unstressed elements, creating a rhythmic flow. Rhythm helps establish the pace, phrasing, and naturalness of speech, aiding in comprehension and facilitating effective communication.

收起
    • 高红 老师 2023-05-24
      The pitch, stress and rhythm are really important prosodic features of English. But in terms of the sub-systems of English intonation, we refer to the "3Ts". Namely: tonality, tonicity and tone.
    • 余潇5班50087 06-18

回复 395478712@qq.com:Sorry,I misunderstood the question here, the new answers follow:

1. Tonality: Tonality refers to the overall melodic pattern or pitch movement in a spoken sentence or utterance. It involves the rising and falling of pitch and is responsible for conveying the intonational contour or melody of a sentence. Tonality helps express various aspects of meaning, such as the distinction between statements, questions, commands, or exclamations.

2. Tonicity: Tonicity refers to the stressed or prominent syllable within a word or phrase. It involves the relative prominence or emphasis placed on certain syllables, which affects the overall rhythm and prominence of the sentence. Tonicity helps convey the meaning and structure of words and phrases within a sentence.

3. Tone: Tone refers to the use of pitch movements or pitch patterns within a sentence to convey additional meaning beyond the basic tonality. It involves the use of pitch variations, such as rises, falls, or changes in pitch direction, to express different pragmatic functions, attitudes, or emotions.

• 余潇5班50087 2023-05-21

Yes, I agree with the statement that "Intonation is the soul of language." Intonation refers to the rise and fall in pitch, rhythm, and stress patterns in spoken language. It plays a crucial role in conveying meaning, expressing emotions, and adding nuance to our speech.

I will take thev sentence "I didn't say you were stupid." as an example. 

1. Falling Intonation: "I didn't say you were stupid." 
       - Meaning: The speaker is denying having said something negative about the listener's intelligence.
       - Implication: The speaker is likely trying to reassure or defend the listener.

2. Rising-Falling Intonation: "I didn't say you were stupid!" 
       - Meaning: The speaker is emphasizing that they didn't make such a statement.
       - Implication: The speaker might be defensive or frustrated, possibly implying that someone else made that remark.

回复
  • 刘培 2023-05-22

回复
  • 刘培 2023-05-22

• Pitch contour: It refers to the pattern of pitch movements within an utterance, including the rise, fall, or combination of rise and fall. Pitch contour helps convey information about the speaker's attitude, emphasis, sentence type (declarative, interrogative), and other aspects of meaning.

• Tonal movement: It refers to the overall direction and pattern of pitch changes across a sequence of words or phrases. It helps to convey the melodic flow and rhythm of speech and assists in grouping words together.

• Tonal placement: It refers to the location of prominent or stressed syllables within an utterance. Tonal placement helps distinguish between important and less important information, convey emphasis or contrast, and aid in the organization of information in speech.

回复
  • 刘培 2023-05-22

• Falling intonation on "wrong" suggests that the speaker is denying the accusation and emphasizing that the person was not wrong.
    • Rising intonation on "wrong" suggests that the speaker is clarifying or seeking confirmation, indicating that the person might have been wrong, but the speaker did not explicitly state it.

回复
  • 陈豆豆2班50032 2023-05-22

Q3:Yes, I agree that idea. For example, when someone asks you "Is Jack your best friend?" And your answer is "Yes." If the "Yes"'s intonation is rising tone, that means Jack may not be your best friend and there may be other people. But if you answer it in a falling tone, that means Jack can be your best friend.

回复
  • 李文6班50123 2023-05-25

The most commonly used nuclear tones in English include:

2. The utterance meanings of these nuclear tones can vary depending on the specific context, linguistic elements, and speaker's intention.

I agree with the statement that "intonation is the soul of language." It helps convey nuances, attitudes, intentions, and pragmatics that go beyond the literal words. For example, consider the sentence "I didn't say you were wrong." By varying the intonation, the speaker can convey different meanings:

回复
  • 江琳一班50009 2023-05-29

1.The most commonly used nuclear tones in English include the following:

回复
  • 江琳一班50009 2023-05-29

2.The three sub-systems of English intonation are:

回复
  • 江琳一班50009 2023-05-29

3.  I agree. Intonation is an important part of the English language. The absence of intonation will make English expression lose its inherent diversity and richness, and the misuse of intonation will lead to the failure of communication and even make communication impossible. Intonation is the soul of language, but also the soul of English language.

回复
  • 顾小莹 2023-05-29

1.The most commonly used nuclear tones in English include the following:

2.The three sub-systems of English intonation are:

3.Intonation plays a crucial role in communication, as it adds layers of meaning, emotion, and emphasis to spoken language. I agree with the statement that "intonation is the soul of language." It helps convey nuances, attitudes, intentions, and pragmatics that go beyond the literal words. For example, consider the sentence "I didn't say you were wrong." By varying the intonation, the speaker can convey different meanings:

回复
  • 严南2班50028 2023-05-30

1. Intonation plays a crucial role in communication, as it adds layers of meaning, emotion, and emphasis to spoken language. I agree with the statement that "intonation is the soul of language." It helps convey nuances, attitudes, intentions, and pragmatics that go beyond the literal words. For example, consider the sentence "I didn't say you were wrong." By varying the intonation, the speaker can convey different meanings:

回复
  • 02邓雅心 2023-05-30

回复
  • 常子毅6班50112 2023-05-31

1: 1. Falling Intonation: This is a common intonation pattern where the pitch starts high and falls towards the end of the utterance. It is often used for declarative statements and indicates completion or finality. For example:
       - "I went to the store."
       - "She is a talented singer."
    2. Rising Intonation: This intonation pattern starts with a lower pitch and rises towards the end of the utterance. It is typically used in yes-no questions and indicates that the speaker is seeking confirmation or seeking information. For example:
       - "Did you see that movie?"
       - "Are you coming with us?"
    3. Rising-Falling Intonation (also known as "Yes-No" or "Question-Statement" intonation): This intonation pattern begins with a rise and then falls towards the end. It is often used in alternative questions, where the speaker is offering choices or seeking confirmation. For example:
       - "Do you want tea or coffee?"
       - "Are you going by car or by bus?

回复
  • 常子毅6班50112 2023-05-31

1.    The three sub-systems of English intonation are:
    •    Pitch contour: It refers to the pattern of pitch movements within an utterance, including the rise, fall, or combination of rise and fall. Pitch contour helps convey information about the speaker's attitude, emphasis, sentence type (declarative, interrogative), and other aspects of meaning.
    •    Tonal movement: It refers to the overall direction and pattern of pitch changes across a sequence of words or phrases. It helps to convey the melodic flow and rhythm of speech and assists in grouping words together.
    •    Tonal placement: It refers to the location of prominent or stressed syllables within an utterance. Tonal placement helps distinguish between important and less important information, convey emphasis or contrast, and aid in the organization of information in speech.

回复

添加回复