南京师范大学中北学院
讲师

课程特色

视频(50)
练习(41)
作业(8)

U6 Unit Discussion

By 王文琴 老师 06-17 67次浏览

How do you think of the conversation between Norma and Mr. Steward at the end of the story, and Mrs Steward's question  to Norma "Do you really think you knew your husband?" in particular? Will the conversation remind you of Text A, Unit One  "Say  Yes"? Do they have something in common? If yes, What?

4 回复

• 82230303储海茹 06-17

It reminds me of the article "Say Yes"
    It seems to me that the greatest thing they have in common is that they all reflect some social reality through quarrels between couples who have lived together for a long time.
    In this article, the husband and wife's argument about whether the death caused by the button is worthy of sympathy shows the social reality of most people in society that things do not happen to me, and have nothing to do with me. The conflict caused by the wife asking her husband if she were a black man, shows that because of some cultural or historical problems in the society, racial discrimination exists in the hearts of some people.

回复
  • 82230315刘轩彤 06-19

I think this question challenges Norma's perception of her husband and leads the reader to reflect on what people may have overlooked or sacrificed in the pursuit of material gain.

This question made Norma realize that even though she had everything she had ever desired, she had probably never really understood her husband and never delved into the true value of their relationship as a couple. It's not just about material and emotional trade-offs, it's about digging deeper into human nature, desire, and sacrifice.

This question really reminds me of Say Yes. Both essays touch on the complexities of human nature and the consequences of choices. The protagonist of "Say Yes" chooses to say yes when confronted with an opportunity, but then finds himself caught up in an unexpected situation. Similarly, Norma has paid a huge price for her choices.

Together, the two articles explore the choices people make when faced with temptations and opportunities, and how those choices affect their lives. They all emphasize the importance of having a deep understanding of yourself and others, carefully weighing the pros and cons, and making decisions responsibly.

回复
  • 82230301鲍思雨 07-06

The conversation between Norma and Mr. Steward at the end of the story, and particularly Mrs. Steward's question to Norma "Do you really think you knew your husband?" is quite thought-provoking. It raises important questions about the nature of relationships, intimacy, and the limits of knowledge we can have about others, even those closest to us.

This conversation does remind me of Text A, Unit One "Say Yes" in that both texts deal with the complexities of human relationships and the challenges of truly knowing and understanding another person. In "Say Yes," the protagonist struggles with knowing her husband's racial discrimination, while Norma in the story is confronted with the realization that she may not have truly known her own husband despite being married to him for many years.

One of the key similarities between the two texts is the idea that relationships are not static but constantly evolving, and that we can never fully predict or control the actions and desires of others.

回复
  • 82230332王佳怡 07-07

I think that last conversation got the wife to reflect on whether she really knew her husband, and from the story the wife didn't know her husband at all. It reminds me to say yes, they also describe human nature, especially human weakness

回复

添加回复