课程特色

视频(49)
作业(32)
考试(1)

Hidden culture in China

By 汤嘉惠 老师 05-09 289次浏览

10 回复

• 82220307董潞瑶 05-09

During my travels throughout China, I had the chance to explore some of the lesser-known aspects of Chinese culture. One of the hidden gems that I discovered was the fascinating world of Chinese hidden culture.

As I was strolling through the bustling streets of Beijing, I stumbled upon a small museum that showcased various ancient artifacts that had been unearthed from different parts of China. One of the most intriguing exhibits was a collection of intricate miniature figurines that were delicately crafted from ivory.

These figurines, known as "snuff bottles," were used during the Qing Dynasty as a way for Chinese nobility to carry powdered tobacco. Each bottle was adorned with exquisite designs and featured a tiny spoon attached to the lid, which was used to dispense the snuff.

As I continued on my journey, I made my way to the city of Chengdu, in the Sichuan province. Here, I had the opportunity to witness the ancient practice of "face-changing" or "bian lian" in Mandarin.

This art form involves performers changing their masks at lightning-fast speeds to create a seamless transition between different characters. The performers use a variety of techniques, such as blowing on their masks or utilizing hidden pockets, to achieve this magical transformation.

As I watched in awe, I realized that this practice had been a closely guarded secret for centuries, with only a handful of practitioners possessing the skill to master this art form.

My travels also took me to the remote province of Yunnan, where I had the privilege of witnessing the traditional dance of the Yi people. This vibrant and colorful dance is a celebration of the Yi culture, with dancers dressed in stunning traditional attire that is adorned with intricate embroidery and beading.

The dance tells a story of love and loss, and the movements are perfectly synchronized with the music, creating a beautiful and mesmerizing performance.

As I immersed myself in these hidden aspects of Chinese culture, I realized that there is so much more to this rich and diverse society than what we see in the mainstream media. It is only by seeking out these lesser-known treasures that we can truly appreciate the depth and complexity of Chinese culture.

Despite the challenges of preserving these ancient practices in the modern world, it is important that we continue to support and promote these cultural traditions. By doing so, we can foster greater understanding and appreciation of different cultures and build bridges of mutual respect and harmony in our world.

回复
  • Yu 05-09

It was a warm summer day, and I was sitting in my grandma's cozy home in the countryside, surrounded by green fields and chirping birds. I sipped on my grandma's famous homemade tea, and she started telling me about the importance of solar terms in directing farm work.

She told me that in China, there are 24 solar terms that divide the year into 24 equal parts, with each term lasting about 15 days. Farmers rely on these terms to determine the best time to plant, harvest, and carry out other farming activities. They provide guidance on when to do what. For example, the Grain Rain solar term is the best time to plant rice seedlings, while the Start of Autumn term signals the time to harvest crops like corn and wheat.

My grandma also shared how solar terms were used to predict weather patterns, guiding farmers in making critical decisions about irrigation and other weather-dependent farming activities. She pointed to a set of almanacs on her shelf, explaining how they contained detailed information on the solar terms and weather patterns for the year.

As the sun began to set, my grandma invited me to join her in the fields the next day, where I could see firsthand how the solar terms were used to guide farm work. The next day, we woke up early and headed to the fields, where I saw farmers planting and harvesting crops based on the solar terms.

As I watched the farmers work, I gained a new appreciation for the vital role that solar terms play in agriculture. Without them, farming families like my grandma's would struggle to make a living, and the supply of food for the entire country would be affected.

For a long time, I had only thought of the solar terms as some ancient calendar things. It never occurred to me that there was such wisdom included in these solar terms. This was a valuable learning moment for me to learn the hidden aspects of our ancestors' prediction of the seasons. I suddenly understood how important it was to treasure them.

As I left my grandma's home that day, I felt grateful for the knowledge she had shared with me. I realized that the solar terms were not just an interesting cultural tradition but a critical tool for ensuring the success and survival of farming families in China.                                                  

回复
  • Wei 05-09

I am food lover, although I was familiar with some of the more well-known dishes such as dumplings and fried rice, I was eager to discover some of the hidden gems that are not as widely known.

One of the dishes that truly stood out to me was hot pot. At first glance, hot pot may seem like a simple dish, but it is actually a reflection of the rich cultural history and traditions of China. Hot pot is a communal meal where diners cook their own meats, vegetables, and other ingredients in a simmering pot of broth. The meal is typically accompanied by a variety of dipping sauces, which can range from mild to spicy.

What struck me most about hot pot was how it brought people together. The meal was not just about the food, but also about the shared experience of cooking and eating together. I learned that hot pot has a long history in China, dating back to the Tang Dynasty, and that it is considered a symbol of unity and harmony.

Another hidden gem I discovered was Sichuan cuisine. Sichuan cuisine is known for its bold and spicy flavors, which are a reflection of the region's unique geography and climate. I was amazed at the variety of dishes that Sichuan cuisine offered, from spicy hot pot to mouth-watering dan dan noodles. The cuisine was a reflection ofthe region's history and traditions, and I gained a new appreciation for the diversity of Chinese cuisine.

Through my experiences with hot pot and Sichuan cuisine, I realized that food can be a window into the hidden culture of a place. It is a reflection of the history, traditions, and values of a society, and it provides a unique way to connect with people and learn about their way of life.

In conclusion, my experiences with hot pot and Sichuan cuisine were not just about the food, but also about the hidden culture that they represented. By seeking out these hidden gems of Chinese cuisine, I gained a deeper understanding and appreciation of the rich and diverse culture of China.

回复
  • Xu 05-09

During my travels, I had the opportunity to delve into the fascinating world of Chinese tea culture. While tea is enjoyed all over the world, I discovered that the Chinese have a deep and intricate relationship with this beloved beverage.

My journey took me to the province of Fujian, where I visited a small tea plantation nestled in the verdant hills. Here, I learned about the art of tea picking and the delicate process of tea processing. The tea leaves are plucked by hand and then carefully dried, rolled, and roasted to bring out their unique flavors.

But tea culture in China goes beyond just the drinking of tea. I also had the chance to witness a traditional Chinese tea ceremony, which is steeped in ritual and symbolism. The ceremony involves the careful preparation and presentation of tea, which is meant to be enjoyed in a tranquil and meditative environment.

Each step of the ceremony is imbued with meaning, from the selection of the tea leaves to the temperature of the water to the way the tea is poured and sipped. The ceremony is a reflection of Chinese philosophy and spirituality, emphasizing the importance of mindfulness, harmony, and balance.

As I sipped the fragrant and delicate tea, I realized that this was more than just a simple beverage. It was a window into the heart and soul of Chinese culture, with its rich history, deep traditions, and profound wisdom.

My travels also took me to the city of Guangzhou, where I discovered another hidden aspect of Chinese culture - Cantonese opera. This traditional form of Chinese opera is characterized by its vibrant costumes, lively music, and unique vocal style.

As I watched the performers bring ancient tales to life on stage, I was struck by the beauty and complexity of this art form. The performers not only have to master the intricacies of the language and music but also possess a deep understanding of Chinese history, culture, and mythology.

I was amazed to learn that Cantonese opera has been around for over 300 years and has survived many challenges, including political upheavals and changing tastes. Despite the obstacles, the performers continue to pass on this ancient tradition to younger generations, ensuring that it remains a vital part of Chinese culture.

Overall, my experience of discovering the hidden aspects of Chinese culture was both enriching and enlightening. It reminded me that there is so much more to a culture than what meets the eye and that by exploring its hidden treasures, we can gain a deeper appreciation of its unique history, traditions, and values.

回复
  • Huang 05-09

I used to have the opportunity to explore some lesser-known aspects of Chinese culture. One of the hidden treasures I discovered was Chinese shadow puppetry.
    I was in the city of Xi'an, in the Shaanxi province of China, and had heard about a small theater that specialized in shadow puppetry. Intrigued by this traditional art form, I decided to check it out.
    As I entered the theater, I was immediately struck by the simplicity of the stage. There was a single light source, which cast a large white screen on the stage. The performers, dressed in black, were crouched behind the screen with their intricate leather puppets in hand.
    The show began with a haunting melody played on a traditional Chinese instrument, and the puppeteers began to manipulate their puppets behind the screen. The characters came to life on the screen, their movements and expressions perfectly synchronized with the music. The story was a classic Chinese folktale about a brave warrior who saves his village from a fearsome monster.
    As the show went on, I was mesmerized by the intricate details of the puppets and the skill of the puppeteers. It was clear that this was an art form that required years of training and practice.
    After the show, I had the opportunity to speak with the puppeteers and learn more about their craft. They explained to me that Chinese shadow puppetry has a long history in China, dating back over 2,000 years. They also shared some of the challenges they face in keeping this art form alive in the modern world, including a lack of funding and interest among younger generations.
    As I left the theater, I felt grateful for the opportunity to experience this hidden treasure of Chinese culture. It was a reminder that there is so much more to Chinese culture than what we see in the mainstream media or in tourist destinations. By seeking out these lesser-known aspects of Chinese culture, we can gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of this rich and diverse society.
    Overall, my experience of discovering Chinese shadow puppetry was both enlightening and inspiring. It reinforced my belief that cultural exchange and understanding is essential for building bridges between different communities and promoting peace and harmony in our world.

回复
  • Chen 05-09

On my tenth birthday, my parents promised to throw me a birthday party where I could invite all my best friends. In addition to my friends, there were also some relatives such as my grandparents, uncles and aunts being invited to celebrate my birthday. When the day that I had been expected for so long finally came, I put on my most beautiful dress and advanced to receive my guests in the great hall of the restaurant.
    When it was time for lunch, everyone sat down and waited to be served the food. In china, we share food together and all the dishes are usually placed in the center of a round table with a rotating table, rather than a rectangular table like in the West. The rotating table ensures all the guests have equal access to the served meal. This was the first time I realized the importance of table manners. As part of Chinese culinary culture, Chinese table manners play a significant role in Chinese traditional culture. Learning table manners will help us to show respect and appreciation to others during meals. Taking the rotating table for example, it shows the value of sharing in Chinese culture. After we sat down for a while, many delicious dishes were served on the table, such as chicken wings, spare ribs, Peking duck and so on. When I saw my favorite dish-chicken wings being served, I gobbled it up as quickly as possible and put the plate in front of myself. Because of my selfish behavior, other people didn’t have the chance to eat this dish. When my mother noticed what I had done, she criticized me severely and taught me about the table manner. First of all, It's ill-mannered to put my favorite dish in front of me without considering others feelings. Especially as a host, i should consider my guests at the table. Second, If there is not much left on a plate and i want to finish it, i should consult others. If they say they don’t want any more, then i can eat proceed. Last, i should not rotate the table for myself when someone else on the table was serving himself from the main bowl. It is recommended to wait until he got a sufficient quantity of the dish.

回复
  • Durian 05-09

It happened in my travel in the city of Hangzhou, which is renowned for its beautiful West Lake and its association with the famous Chinese calligrapher Su Shi. Here, I visited a calligraphy school and met with a master calligrapher who showed me the basics of the art form.

When I picked up the brush and dipped it into the ink, I quickly realized how difficult it was to create the elegant and flowing strokes that are characteristic of Chinese calligraphy. The master calligrapher explained to me that calligraphy is not just about writing characters, but also about expressing one's inner thoughts and emotions.

He showed me different styles of calligraphy, each with its unique personality and aesthetic. For example, the "regular script" is precise and clean, while the "running script" is more fluid and spontaneous. He also explained that calligraphy is not just about the beauty of the strokes, but also about the meaning behind the characters and the messages they convey.

When I watched the master calligrapher at work, I was struck by his focus and concentration. Each stroke was deliberate and purposeful, and he seemed to be in a state of meditation as he created his art. I realized that calligraphy was not just a skill, but also a form of spiritual practice that requires discipline and mindfulness.
     It happened in my travel in the city of Hangzhou, which is renowned for its beautiful West Lake and its association with the famous Chinese calligrapher Su Shi. Here, I visited a calligraphy school and met with a master calligrapher who showed me the basics of the art form.

When I picked up the brush and dipped it into the ink, I quickly realized how difficult it was to create the elegant and flowing strokes that are characteristic of Chinese calligraphy. The master calligrapher explained to me that calligraphy is not just about writing characters, but also about expressing one's inner thoughts and emotions.

He showed me different styles of calligraphy, each with its unique personality and aesthetic. For example, the "regular script" is precise and clean, while the "running script" is more fluid and spontaneous. He also explained that calligraphy is not just about the beauty of the strokes, but also about the meaning behind the characters and the messages they convey.

When I watched the master calligrapher at work, I was struck by his focus and concentration. Each stroke was deliberate and purposeful, and he seemed to be in a state of meditation as he created his art. I realized that calligraphy was not just a skill, but also a form of spiritual practice that requires discipline and mindfulness.

回复
  • Li 05-09

I was fortunate enough to experience the beauty and richness of Chinese traditional music. One evening, in the city of Chengdu, I attended a performance by a group of musicians playing the pipa, a four-stringed Chinese musical instrument that dates back over 2,000 years.
    As the music began, I was immediately struck by the beauty and complexity of the sound. The pipa's sound was both melodic and haunting, evoking images of China's rich cultural heritage. The musicians' fingers moved deftly across the instrument's strings, creating a sound that was at once delicate and powerful.
    The music was accompanied by a dancer who performed a graceful and mesmerizing dance, her movements perfectly synchronized with the music. The performance told the story of a Chinese warrior's journey through life, from his youth to his eventual death.
    After the performance, I had the chance to speak with the musicians and learn more about the history and meaning behind their music. They explained that traditional Chinese music is deeply rooted in Chinese culture and has been passed down from generation to generation for centuries.
    They also shared some of the challenges they face in preserving this cultural heritage in the modern world. As Western music and pop culture continue to gain popularity in China, traditional Chinese music is at risk of being forgotten.
    However, they expressed hope that by continuing to perform and share their music with the world, they can keep the tradition alive and inspire future generations to appreciate and cherish their cultural heritage.
    As I left the performance, I felt grateful to have experienced this hidden gem of Chinese culture. It reminded me that beyond the skyscrapers and bustling cities lies a rich and diverse society with a deep appreciation for art and music.
    Overall, my journey through the world of Chinese traditional music was both enlightening and inspiring. It underscored the importance of preserving cultural heritage in a rapidly changing world and the power of music to transcend language and cultural barriers.

回复
  • 82200616许心怡 05-09

Due to my parents’ work, I have been following them to study in other cities since kindergarten. I only went back to my grandma’s house in the countryside to visit and accompany her during festivals. Although my grandma had several children, she loved me the most when I was little because my parents lived the farthest away from her, and we have few chances to see each other. Whenever I visited her, she would buy me lots of snacks and fruits and even secretly give me some pocket money.
    I still remember it was the Dragon Boat Festival when I was in my first year of junior high school. As a junior high school student, I absolutely knew that the Dragon Boat Festival had customs such as eating rice dumplings and racing dragon boats. However, when I had just gotten up that morning, I saw my grandmother hanging a bundle of grass at the door. I curiously asked my grandmother, “Isn’t the Dragon Boat Festival supposed to make zongzi to commemorate Qu Yuan? What is this grass and why are we hanging it here?” My grandmother smiled. She took my hand and slowly walked to her armchair where she sat down, and I climbed onto her lap. She hugged me softly and tenderly said, “This grass is called ‘Mugwort’, Aicao. Actually, this custom dates back to ancient times. You know, the Dragon Boat Festival falls in the damp and hot summer, which is a high-risk period for various epidemics and diseases. With underdeveloped productivity and low medical levels at that time, falling ill could be life-threatening. Mugwort has a strong aroma and has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-swelling effects, and could relieve pain. Hanging mugworts at the door can ward off insects, toxins, and evil spirits, and ensure our safety. With the development of the times, this custom has been preserved today. Although our medical conditions have greatly improved, in fact, as a kind of herb, some people still use mugworts as an ancient folk remedy to treat disease. We now hang mugworts because it has the meaning of praying for good fortune and getting rid of bad luck.” “Oh, I see. Thank you for telling me this. Grandma, let me help you with that!” “You are welcome my dear granddaughter, okay, but be careful!”
    That was when I realized that there was a greater significance behind such a simple tradition.

回复
  • Ju 05-09

One of the fascinating aspects of Chinese culture is its rich and extensive use of proverbs, which have been passed down from generation to generation. Chinese proverbs are a unique way to convey a message or provide insight in a concise and memorable way.

I had the pleasure of learning some of these proverbs during my travels in China, and I was struck by the depth of wisdom they contain. One of the most well-known Chinese proverbs is "If you want happiness for an hour, take a nap. If you want happiness for a day, go fishing. If you want happiness for a year, inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime, help somebody." This proverb reminds us that true happiness comes from helping others and making a positive impact in the world.

Another famous Chinese proverb is "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime." This proverb highlights the importance of education and self-sufficiency, and how empowering someone with skills can have a long-lasting impact.

There are many other Chinese proverbs that provide guidance and insight on various aspects of life, from relationships to personal growth to dealing with adversity. For example, "The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second-best time is now." This proverb encourages us to take action and not wait for the perfect moment to pursue our goals.

While these proverbs are deeply rooted in Chinese culture, their messages are universal and can be appreciated by people of all backgrounds. They remind us of the power of simplicity and the importance of values such as kindness, perseverance, and humility.

In conclusion, Chinese proverbs are a treasure trove of wisdom and provide a unique insight into the culture and values of China. By learning and reflecting on these proverbs, we can gain a deeper understanding of ourselves and the world around us.

回复

添加回复