课程特色

视频(77)
练习(4)
考试(5)
作业(4)
下载资料(10)

question

By 廖露 2018-11-11 924次浏览

Why should we recite the whole English article instead of reciting key phrases and sentences?Which  is  more  effective for accumulate knowledge ?I think recite  the  whole  article may  expend  a lot  of  time  and  after a few times  we may forget what  we had recited. I am  so  confused. 

教师的答案

• 苏晓俐 老师 2018-11-12

Hi Lu, glad that you asked this question. In my opinion, for English learners esp. those whose proficiency levels are intermediate and lower-intermediate, memorization, recitation and imitation are important. Remembering those key phrases and sentences is of course helpful, but sometimes maybe memorizing the whole article could develop your sense of passage more. English is so different from Chinese. It's highly structured and the connection between sentences are totally different from Chinese.

According to a study conducted by Prof. Ding Yanren from Nanking University, He interviewed with three university English majors who had won prizes in nationwide English speaking competitions and debate tournaments in China. The interviewees regarded text memorization and imitation as the most effective methods of learning English. They had been initially forced to use these methods but gradually came to appreciate them. The practice enabled them to attend to and learn collocations and sequences, to borrow these sequences for productive use, to improve pronunciation, and to develop the habit of attending to details of language in the context of language input. Such practice enhances noticing and rehearsal and hence facilitates second language acquisition.

回复
  • Margaret 老师 2018-12-18

As a foreigner I can recommend the benefits of reading a wide variety of material such as books, novels, newspapers and magazines.  As you read be on the look out for interesting words or phrases or sentences and notice how they are connected togther to express ideas.  Watching english movies can be helpful too and especially pay attention to the interesting conversations   Perhaps you can research different topics on the interet and think about what you read.  
    I also suggest that you write down your new words and phrases in a notebook.  In my opinion we remember what we understand.  If you have an opportunity to speak to others in English then go for it and don't be shy. Making your own flashcards can also be a tool to prompt your memory.  

回复

2 所有答案

• 苏晓俐 老师 2018-11-12

Hi Lu, glad that you asked this question. In my opinion, for English learners esp. those whose proficiency levels are intermediate and lower-intermediate, memorization, recitation and imitation are important. Remembering those key phrases and sentences is of course helpful, but sometimes maybe memorizing the whole article could develop your sense of passage more. English is so different from Chinese. It's highly structured and the connection between sentences are totally different from Chinese.

According to a study conducted by Prof. Ding Yanren from Nanking University, He interviewed with three university English majors who had won prizes in nationwide English speaking competitions and debate tournaments in China. The interviewees regarded text memorization and imitation as the most effective methods of learning English. They had been initially forced to use these methods but gradually came to appreciate them. The practice enabled them to attend to and learn collocations and sequences, to borrow these sequences for productive use, to improve pronunciation, and to develop the habit of attending to details of language in the context of language input. Such practice enhances noticing and rehearsal and hence facilitates second language acquisition.

回复
  • Margaret 老师 2018-12-18

As a foreigner I can recommend the benefits of reading a wide variety of material such as books, novels, newspapers and magazines.  As you read be on the look out for interesting words or phrases or sentences and notice how they are connected togther to express ideas.  Watching english movies can be helpful too and especially pay attention to the interesting conversations   Perhaps you can research different topics on the interet and think about what you read.  
    I also suggest that you write down your new words and phrases in a notebook.  In my opinion we remember what we understand.  If you have an opportunity to speak to others in English then go for it and don't be shy. Making your own flashcards can also be a tool to prompt your memory.  

回复

添加答案